“Cooking is not only about the quality of the ingredients but also the quality of the ideas”
Osteria Francescana: Dinig Hall. Photo credits to Callo Albanese e Sueo
Since I’m a travel blogger based in Modena, it strikes me as impossible not writing about the Osteria Francescana, so here we go, let me tell you something about the world’s number one restaurant.
Osteria Francescana: Dining Hall. Photo credits to Callo Albanese e Sueo
Osteria Francescana is a three-Michelin-star small restaurant located in the city centre of Modena and it has been nominated number one on the world’s 50 Best Restaurants list first, in the year 2016 and again, in 2018.This famous restaurant is owned by the Chef Massimo Bottura who opened it in 1995 and from then on he has consolidated his reputation as one of the world’s most creative culinary figures. His dishes have a thin line between tradition and innovation. The awards he received along the curse of his career are countless and the recognitions are arriving continuously.
Osteria Francescana: Massimo Bottura by the entrance. Photo credits to Paolo Terzi
Massimo Bottura now can proudly say that he is one of the reasons why tourist are coming to visit the city of Modena. Even if the prices are sky high, many people, from all around the globe, want to dine at the Osteria Francescana. It is not easy to get a seat in this restaurant of only few tables and foodies reserve months in advance. So consider yourself lucky enough if you can fit your dining experience here during your trip to Italy.
Massimo Bottura and His wife Lara Gilmore at The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018
Curiosities and Tips:
1. The patrons are all left outside until the doors don’t open at the exact time of reservation. Everybody then enter at the same time while all the staff together greet. Each party is then led to their respective tables.
2. Tips to the waiters can’t be charged from the credit card like in many western countries.
3. You are presented with a menu A la Carte or two kinds of a tasting menu to choose from.
4. No dress code required. 5. The entire dining experience takes from three to four hours.
6. If you are reaching Modena by train, the walk to and from the restaurant takes about 30 minutes. Do it at least one way because Modena is a very beautiful city. Specially don’t forget to pass by the Piazza Grande. 7. Reservation can be done online, credit card details are required at this stage. You will be charged € 250 for No-Show.
8. Massimo Bottura’ s Chef’s Table episodes are broadcasted on Netflix.
9. The waiter always gives a detailed description of the food and the story behind it.
10. Massimo Bottura’s two cookbooks (Never Trust a Skinny Italian and Bread is gold) are sold at the Osteria Francescana.
11. Photography is a sensitive subject here: you are allowed, but however, you should rispect the privacy of all the guests.
12. Last but not least, food intolerances and allergies are well accommodated.
Osteria Francescana. Lemon Tart. Photo credits to Paolo Terzi
Now, I can’t tell you if it is going to be your best meal ever but let me say that in my case I like to spend my money for the experience. I’m sure at Osteria Francescana you will get it 100%. Have you ever been to Osteria Francescana in Modena? Feel free to share your experience with us. Can’t wait to read it!!!
Osteria Francescana. Mediterranean Sole. Photo credits to Paolo Terzi
Is this post has been useful? Then why not supporting my writings? It’s easy to
show your love: leave me a comment, follow me, subscribe to my newsletter,
sponsor my posts, hire me or just buy me a coffee by clicking the yellow donate
button below. Thanks a Lot! :-)
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.