Me, my car, Krafla and Iceland

July 17, 2017Niry Fidelis

Want to feel like in a different
planet? Then here is place for you: Krafla Volcano! It is a most spectacular
and active volcano of Iceland. It is situated on the northwest part of the
Island called Mývatn. We all already know that Mývatn is one of the most
popular destinations in Iceland for both foreign and domestic tourists so it is
well connected by road. You can easily reach the place without a 4 wheel
drive. Once at the spot, it takes only a few seconds to walk from the
parking lot to the rim. The lava is still steaming in places; you can see the
smoke rising around you. Take your time and walk all around it on paths,
including right up to the cinder cone. Most people stop at the wooden
viewing point near the rhyolite hill but believe me that hiking to the top is
really worth! The walk takes you up to a dark, still smoldering pit of lava. It
is such a unique place, I have never seen something similar in any of my travels.
We wandered around for almost 3 hours admiring the raw power of the earth.
We stopped at every single corner to admire the different geological textures
all around.
Has been an excellent experience, the
landscape was really like from another planet.
There are good photographic options but remember that
the photos just don’t do justice. Just
amazing!!!

Suggestions:

1.    Use good hiking shoes as the lava rock can be hard on shoe tread

2.    If possible avoid during heavy snow because it will cover up the sceneries

3.    Be sure to have your wind gear, as the winds here can be very strong and
cold.

Comments (11)

• Swayam Tiwari

July 18, 2017 at 6:54 am

Iceland to me is always about ice, earthquakes, beautiful scenery, Aurora Borealis and of course, lava.
    I wonder when I will get the time to visit this mystical island. We don't have very many Icelanders here in India so the charm of Iceland gets bigger every day.

• Niranjana Fidelis

July 18, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Then you should force yourself to fly Iceland soon! ❤️

• Gil Camporazo

July 19, 2017 at 8:15 am

An active volcano, does it not pose a danger to the people there? How old is the volcano? Are the people or the tourist are not afraid for the unexpected explosion of that volcano? I won't dare of coming over there.

• Fred Hawson

July 20, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Visiting Iceland is really one of my dreams. I want to see this volcano. I want to see the Northern Lights. I hope to get the chance to visit this country soon.

• Gale Falces

July 21, 2017 at 12:20 am

Hey! Thank you for the tips! Will definitely buy good shoes for all my future hikes! Loved that you shared tips too!

• Laiariel Samangka

July 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Wow, I love hiking so much and this one is really sound like my kind of adventure. I love your lovely photos and your concise article about this stunning place. I'll surely be going to pen this on m bucket list.Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

• Bhushavali N

July 23, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Iceland is definitely in my wishlist! I have to go!

• Kylie wenn

July 24, 2017 at 2:43 am

Lovely place to visit, Let's go hiking… NIce..

• Tiffany Yong W.T.

July 24, 2017 at 2:53 am

How's the air there like? Was it difficult to breathe? Suitable for people with asthma? It looks gorgeous, but not sure about the air quality…

• Ken Jesryl

August 7, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Just thinking about Iceland makes me feel like it's a different planet, how much more a volcano in "ICE-LAND", do you get it? LOL

I have never been to a place with ice yet, I wish the first one would be this place that you wrote about. And I could even wish better if you can tour me around with your car.

• Christine ann Dela Cruz

August 9, 2017 at 10:45 am

I've never been there in Iceland. I will add this to my bucket list. I love your lovely photos and your concise article about this stunning post