Top 5 things you can’t miss in Modena

June 29, 2017Niry Fidelis

What to do in Modena

Here it is, let me finally write something about Modena, a place where we live! Most of the people don’t think about it as a touristic destination and many just stop in Bologna but it is a big mistake. This tiny city offers really a lot, especially when it comes to food it is absolutely unbeatable: remember that the world famous number 1 restaurant is in Modena! Considering its strategic geographic position, a stopover during the car journeys is not stuffy at all. Here are my top five things to do in Modena. You can’t miss them out.

1.  The cathedral in the city centre, located in the middle of the Piazza Grande. It is fascinating inside and wonderful outside. Remember that as usual in most of the cities in Italy, it is closed during lunch time. The entrance to the church is free while you pay € 3.00 for the tower (ghirlandina). Even if you are not directly headed to Modena, as I said before, a stopover while driving from Bologna to Milan is really worth.
2.    My second favourite goes for the Salse di Nirano. Such an unusual place! It is a real geological wonder made of cold mud volcanos. You can easily arrive at the bottom of the national park by car and walk up until you reach close to the volcanos. Believe me, it is a must when you are around. There are some newly built trails inside the park where doing some hiking or simply a pleasant walk with friends. Sadly these trails are built without taking account that would have been nice if people could see the boiling process while walking. So you can just hear the gurgle and see the mad hills from far.
3.   Modena is known as a Motor Valley: You can visit so many museums here. What you can learn here about motors has nothing compared to the information you get out of the city. This year specially came to my attention the Panini private collection (HOMBRE). Mr. Umberto Panini, has bought the whole Maserati collection during its time of crisis in order to keep the collection inside the country. Remain to be seen also the abandoned “Automobili Bugatti” factory. Not only for the style within it has been built but also for its history. Maserati factory has also recently opened its door to visitors.
4.    How many of you know that Modena is a motherland for the world-famous Parmesan cheese and Balsamic Vinegar? Those both things can be bought for a very cheap price here. Yep, while I was in Milan I saw some inaccessible prices. The 30 months old Parmesan costs not more than € 15.00. So you food lovers, how can you leave the country without tasting the original one? It’s said that the best Parmesan comes from San Dalmazio, a hill village close to Modena. In case you want to buy some food items visit the Albinelli Market which is open from Monday to Saturday in the morning only. It’s a century old market selling local products.
5.   As I already told you first, when it comes to food they are unbeatable. My advice goes for Trattoria Ermes in Via Ganaceto. It is the oldest restaurant in the city centre (1963). This restaurant was owned once by an old couple, Ermes and Bruna, but now, due to Ermes’ bad health conditions, they handed out the activity. Bruna is still in the kitchen meanwhile Ermes sometimes goes just for a visit. There are so many other food options in the city centre of Modena: Aldina, Taverna dei Servi, Tagliatella and Il Fantino are certainly restaurants where trying the traditional food of Modena. In case you are looking for a dining option off the beaten path in Modena, my suggestion  goes to the Trattoria l’Antica Grama

Modena City Centre

These are my must suggestions for Modena. I really hope it could help the ones visiting the area. There are much more, of course, so don’t wait to explore them by yourself. If you are looking for more things to do in Modena, I suggest you also to read Stefania Fregni’s blog about Modena. She writes quite a lot about her city and I do believe it could help.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Search for your Hotel in Modena
Discover all the events in Modena

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Comments (15)

• Harmony Skillman

June 30, 2017 at 1:53 am

I've been all over Italy but never Modena! Isn't everybody town just amazing and beautiful?

• escapesanddiaries

June 30, 2017 at 3:10 am

I dislike queuing for foods especially when I'm totally starving, but in this case if it's worth to wait then I will. Haven't been to Italy but based on your post, seems like a wonderful place to visit! Definitely visiting in the future!

• Unknown

June 30, 2017 at 4:40 am

I have travelled to much of Italy, but not Modena. I love parmesan cheese and of course balsamic vinegar so I will add Modena to my list when I next visit Italy. Thanks for sharing this great information

• Ambuj Saxena

June 30, 2017 at 5:44 am

I am glad you have explored a less explored destination! There are so many potential tourist sites everywhere but people go only to the tried and tested ones!By the way, I wasn't aware that Modena is the land of Parmisan cheese!

• Lisa

June 30, 2017 at 9:42 am

Unfortunately I didn't get to visit Modena when in Italy, but I spent plenty of time in the north, (Veneto), but I still managed to eat plenty of parmesan, pecorino, asiago (will stop now!) and aceto balsamico throughout my travels 🙂

• Anj Yap

June 30, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Wow! Though it is not a touristic destination, it still offers a lot of things to do here so you wiuld definitely enjoy your trip here!

• Reena

June 30, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Great read! Had no idea about all of those places!

• Gillian Ong

June 30, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I've never been to Italy myself, so I'll definitely take your recommendations into account.

• Indrani

July 1, 2017 at 4:02 am

I remember my visit to Modena. It is listed in UNESCO World Heritage sites list and that made include it in my itinerary. I visited the cathedral and a beautiful park there. I wish I had the time to visit the museums you mentioned.

• Sandy N Vyjay

July 1, 2017 at 5:24 am

Modena looks quaint and lovely. The fact that not many tourists head that way, makes the place more alluring. The cathedral looks lovely and the town too must be really picturesque. Italy is full of these charming little places that not many people are aware of.

• JM Kayne

July 1, 2017 at 11:58 am

Never been to Italy, but planning to visit my in law soon. Hopefully we'll get a chance to visit Modena! Adding this on our list of places to visit.

Thanks & God bless!

JM Kayne | #InMyHeart♥

• Neha

July 2, 2017 at 9:46 am

Looks like a very interesting place to visit. And the spots that you mentioned are so versatile and interesting. I had never heard of cold mud volcanos so I will definitely like to visit one. And the museums will definitely be of interest as well.

• Ami

July 3, 2017 at 6:07 am

Did not know that Parmesan cheese comes from here. The city does have some intriguing facts that make it interesting. Must look up more on it.

• Erica Poyauan

July 3, 2017 at 10:18 am

Museum and vinegar, though there is no apparent relation to this two, I like them. I think I'll enjoy Modena if I could go to a lit museum and I could have a tasty vinegar!!!

• Nourishing Tweens

May 8, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Modena sounds like a lovely city! We are planning to go to Italy next year and I am looking for ideas.